April 4, 2009

A Happy Medium

Sometimes I can't help but wonder: when did things start becoming so difficult? When do you leave the land of self-indulgence and spontaneous decision-making and enter the hell that is adulthood? I wonder which territory I currently stand on. I'm finding that more and more of my choices are made conscientiously, with other people and consequences in mind. And I'm very proud of this. I think back to the kind of person I was just a year ago and I can see the actual, even tangible changes in the kind of person I am now. I'm more level-headed, rational, self-conscious and less childish, stubborn. And I'm happy about all this, but there is still a long way to go. I know that much as well. Still, I have to admit that part of me continues to revel in my immaturity sometimes. I secretly love that a lot of the choices that I make are often governed by baser instincts and impulses. Case in point: I was really craving a cheeseburger today...so I had one. With french fries. And a soda. There was no hesitation whatsoever (though I realize that this example is not exactly the strongest supporting evidence to my statement). And I just love that about me. But back to my original question! I just want to be able to find and maintain a balance between the two as I continue to grow older. To be an adult yet continue to seek personally fulfilling [and perhaps selfish] childish pleasures. To find that happy medium between thinking about others and only thinking about yourself. Because I firmly believe that one is just as important as the other.


(What one finds when one Googles "a happy medium")

No comments: