This is just a quickie post, since I have so much to do and so little time to do it. I just needed to comment on these pictures as they've just recently surfaced. Okay? Okay.
These Nicholas Kirkwood for Rodarte S/S 2010 shoes are absolutely BANANAS. B-A-N-A-N-A-S. For so many effing reasons! Good and bad. Looking at them makes me shoegasm while simultaneously shuddering in pain at the mere thought of walking around with them on. Oh, I would die. Or a la Rachel Zoe: "I die." I would, though, from combusting in sheer ecstasy and incisive pain. I'm so speechless that I don't even know if I'm making any sense right now!
The Good: Just look at them. I mean, really look at them. The worksmanship on these babies is simply incredible. You can just feel the extensive amount of time and affection its creators lovingly doled upon them. And the details. Oh my god, the details! I really think these shoes are the perfect manifestation of both Kirkwood and Rodarte's respective styles. You have the intricacy and thoughtfulness inherent to Kirkwood's shoes, while bringing the fresh, forward, and beautifully futuristic style I'm beginning to associate with the Rodarte name. They really evoke this sort of dark-haired, Amazonian, machine gun-wielding, Terminator-era uber-girl. That's what they do for me, at least. Basically what I'm trying to say is that these shoes are fucking brilliant.
The Not-So-Good: I think what's really troubling me about them is that they simply do not look structurally sound. And by "structurally sound," I mean you could probably make it down one block in Manhattan and then keel over and collapse on the floor from all that effort. Am I right? And this would be mainly due to the heel itself. Although I'm in love with the idea of creating a heel resembling a stack of dirty old screws (so kinky...get it? HA) , I have to wonder about the actual wearability of the product at hand. The raised platform in the front may remedy the walking problem slightly, but I think as a whole, these shoes would highly be considered as unreasonable and exceedingly impractical.
Which brings me to my reason for commenting on these Nicholas Kirkwood for Rodarte shoes. I've come to learn a lot about fashion in the past year -- it comes with the territory of living in Manhattan, being exposed to the city's culture and people 24/7, and attending a college where students would rather die than be seen in sweats -- and I've realized that fashion, at least for me, really boils down to two things. 1) Do I like it? and 2) Can I actually wear it? There's no point in shelling out bank to buy something if you're only going to wear it once or twice, and for five minutes tops at a time. I think a lot of people living here would agree with me on that much. My personal philosophy towards shopping is that you have to -- and very well can! -- find ways to make your wardrobe meet your budget. It's not about accepting fashion defeat, and resigning yourself to the humble wares of Old Navy (which actually has some hidden gems from time to time). It's really about mixing from high-end and low-end resources and making them work with your individual style.
This is just some stuff I've learned as an honest girl, trying to make it big in the Big Apple. But hey, what do I know?
These Nicholas Kirkwood for Rodarte S/S 2010 shoes are absolutely BANANAS. B-A-N-A-N-A-S. For so many effing reasons! Good and bad. Looking at them makes me shoegasm while simultaneously shuddering in pain at the mere thought of walking around with them on. Oh, I would die. Or a la Rachel Zoe: "I die." I would, though, from combusting in sheer ecstasy and incisive pain. I'm so speechless that I don't even know if I'm making any sense right now!
The Good: Just look at them. I mean, really look at them. The worksmanship on these babies is simply incredible. You can just feel the extensive amount of time and affection its creators lovingly doled upon them. And the details. Oh my god, the details! I really think these shoes are the perfect manifestation of both Kirkwood and Rodarte's respective styles. You have the intricacy and thoughtfulness inherent to Kirkwood's shoes, while bringing the fresh, forward, and beautifully futuristic style I'm beginning to associate with the Rodarte name. They really evoke this sort of dark-haired, Amazonian, machine gun-wielding, Terminator-era uber-girl. That's what they do for me, at least. Basically what I'm trying to say is that these shoes are fucking brilliant.
The Not-So-Good: I think what's really troubling me about them is that they simply do not look structurally sound. And by "structurally sound," I mean you could probably make it down one block in Manhattan and then keel over and collapse on the floor from all that effort. Am I right? And this would be mainly due to the heel itself. Although I'm in love with the idea of creating a heel resembling a stack of dirty old screws (so kinky...get it? HA) , I have to wonder about the actual wearability of the product at hand. The raised platform in the front may remedy the walking problem slightly, but I think as a whole, these shoes would highly be considered as unreasonable and exceedingly impractical.
Which brings me to my reason for commenting on these Nicholas Kirkwood for Rodarte shoes. I've come to learn a lot about fashion in the past year -- it comes with the territory of living in Manhattan, being exposed to the city's culture and people 24/7, and attending a college where students would rather die than be seen in sweats -- and I've realized that fashion, at least for me, really boils down to two things. 1) Do I like it? and 2) Can I actually wear it? There's no point in shelling out bank to buy something if you're only going to wear it once or twice, and for five minutes tops at a time. I think a lot of people living here would agree with me on that much. My personal philosophy towards shopping is that you have to -- and very well can! -- find ways to make your wardrobe meet your budget. It's not about accepting fashion defeat, and resigning yourself to the humble wares of Old Navy (which actually has some hidden gems from time to time). It's really about mixing from high-end and low-end resources and making them work with your individual style.
This is just some stuff I've learned as an honest girl, trying to make it big in the Big Apple. But hey, what do I know?


No comments:
Post a Comment