November 12, 2009

Edge of Desire



I can't stop listening to this song over and over again. It's literally on repeat all day. I had a hard time working through his new album; it felt disjointed, disorganized. But this is usually the case with all of John Mayer's stuff. On the first run-through, everything feels vaguely familiar, like bits and pieces of things you've heard all of your life. But what I've realized over the years is that his albums require a lot of time to "understand." It takes time and patience to tread through the overall "feeling" of his albums and recognize the genuine authenticity of his melodies coupled with the nuances that embody his lyrics. And even though Battle Studies still feels a bit awkward to me as a whole, I've finally decided that I do, in fact, like it. It's different, and maybe not in a good way...but I like it all the same.

No comments: