November 19, 2009

Holly

I have to admit, I've never been a huge fan of Breakfast at Tiffany's. There was just something so incredibly irksome about the character of Holly Golightly; something about her lackadaisical demeanor, her damsel in distress attitude, her fragility left me completely unsympathetic and made her a little less than desirable as a person in my books. I guess all the characteristics that make her persona so compelling to millions of women -- and gay men -- everywhere are the very qualities that turn me off. IMDb describes her as "a sweetly vulnerable bundle of neuroses," which according to me can basically be interpreted to mean she is a veritable hot mess. No? And this is not to say that I've never before pined to be in the same position as Holly. On the contrary, I'm the first to admit to being quite the hopeless romantic myself. Of course I'd love to be saved by a handsome rugged writer (with a mysteriously vague and never quite fleshed out relationship on the side). Of course I'd love to flit from place to place wearing only pearls and toting my customary coffee and croissant duo (which I do, in fact, do...sans the pearls). Of course, of course, of course! What, am I not a girl? Do I not have a vag? I completely understand the movie and the concept, yet I just can't bring myself to understand nor relate to her character. I can't pinpoint it, but the sentiments are just not there. Perhaps it's the cynic in me, fighting and trying to override the hopeless romantic. Maybe it's a lot more chic these days to play the jaded card. Regardless, after dozens of views and hours of endless pondering, I've come to realize that I just don't like Holly Golightly, and probably never will.

1 comment:

Vinda Sonata said...

ooo. nice posting. yea, me too, i dislike the damsel-in-distress persona in a character. i just think it is so annoying somehow; like begging for attention, yes?

but, like it or not, must admit that this holly golightly woman is quite an icon. the little black dress hepburn wore in this movie is being sold in an auction for so many millions. (i forgot the exact numbers) and she established the trend of pearl strands ;)