March 29, 2009

my favorite cupcakes in manhattan

Pretty self-explanatory. My favorites (in no particular order):
Butter Lane Bakery, Sugar Sweet Sunshine, Amai Tea & Bake House and Babycakes.

I love them all for very different reasons. Let me count the ways!


1) Butter Lane Bakery -- Every cupcake is usually made to order. You are completely in charge of the choice of frosting and cake. The possibilities! My favorite thus far has been the mixed berry buttercream frosting with the banana cupcake. Ohhhh man.

Pros: Scrumdiddlyumptious freshness, sweet and less sweet frosting options.
Cons: Maaaaad expensive. Which makes this a weekly luxury instead of a daily one. I know, I know -- I have issues. (Read: borderline obsessive)



2) Sugar Sweet Sunshine -- Honestly, by and large my absolute favorite cupcakes in the entire city. I've been a loyal, unwavering fan since the beginning of time and will continue to be one unless someone can top their freaking amazing cupcakes or even amazing-er prices. My favorite is, hands down, the Bob cupcake: chocolate buttercream with a little almond extract on a yellow cupcake. I had to wipe off the dribble of saliva from my mouth after I typed that sentence.

Pros: Mind-blowing cupcakes, crazy turnover as they constantly have business, super-low price tag (in the cupcake business, at least), and puddings too. And cheap. I could go on and on. Really, I could.
Cons: Not much to complain about. Could do with a little more seating room, I guess?



3) Amai Tea & Bake House -- Not my favorite cupcake, but definitely an interesting and less cloyingly sweet alternative. Which is good for old people, I guess, but not for me! Their green tea cupcake is made with real green tea matcha powder and tastes absolutely delicious, but if I'm looking to satisfy a cupcake craving (and I ALWAYS am) I probably wouldn't turn to this one. Their scones, on the other hand, are a different story.

Pros: Mildly sweet, but super-strong in the green tea taste department.
Cons: I just like their tea sweets, scones, and lychee brownies better!



4) Babycakes -- Yet another interesting alternative, this time for all those healthy-minded wheat gluten-avoiding individuals out there. Babycakes makes delicious cupcakes without the use of wheat, sugar, gluten, dairy or eggs. So there is basically nothing. Which is not to say that they aren't delicious, but just that they have a different texture than one is probably used to. Kind've gummy.

Pros: The carrot cupcake with creamy vanilla frosting. And you won't feel as guilty eating one.
Cons: I am not willing to shell out $4 for a cupcake. If I won't do it before a recession, then I'm probably not going to during one. Sorry.


Off to devour another cupcake! - M

photo credit: seriouseats, foodinmouth, monkichichan, wendalicious

No comments: