At the risk of sounding really spoiled, sometimes I wish I had a longer commute into the office so that I'd have more time to read on the train everyday. One of my favorite things to do in the morning, headphones plugged into the depths of my ears and still in that just-woke-up-and-partially-comatose state, is to look around the subway car at what people are reading on their way to work. Usually it's the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal, but you'll also get the occasional Kindle reader or ragged paperback. Sometimes one next to the other, which is always amusing, of course. But what gets me above all else is when I spot a couple sitting together, sharing the different sections of a newspaper with each other. He'll finish the World News and she'll have skimmed the Sports, and then they'll switch off. And so on and so forth. It's the most ordinary act in the world, but it warms my heart and makes me smile so much. If anyone ever asks me how I define "love," I think that's how I'll answer. Being able to sit with someone on the way to work, and share the paper everyday.

No comments:
Post a Comment