I confessed to someone today that I was the somewhat embarrassed owner of a personal blog. She asked me what I usually write about and I just shrugged. "Anything." Which is the truth, I suppose. Whatever comes across my mind as worth sharing with the general public, be it intimate thoughts or totally rad stuff I find trolling the interwebs (i.e. the disappearing New York store fronts above).
When it comes to personal musings, though, I'm always conflicted about the level of information I should and shouldn't share. I like to think of myself as an open book. Not that "what you see is what you get" bullshit, but that for the most part, I'm relatively transparent about how I feel and what I think. For better or worse, you could say. When it comes to blogging, I try and maintain this transparency and to stay consistent with the core of who I am. The difference, though, is that while you can control who is listening to you when you talk, you can't exactly control who's reading the words on your not-so-very-personal-after-all blog. Inevitably you end up adjusting that transparency to reflect how you want to be perceived by the people that read your writing.
So I guess "anything" isn't exactly truthful, nor does it capture the goal of keeping a personal blog. I've kept this blog for over two years because I enjoy sharing little pieces of myself that I deem worth sharing. But only when I feel like it, which is why I don't actively publicize my blog either. You could say I like the idea of flying under the radar, but still being on a few other radars out there as well.
This blog is my store front. It's flashy and full of pretty things to look at, that's for sure. But if you want something special and different, something you can't find anywhere else, you should probably come inside and talk to the owner in person.
This blog is my store front. It's flashy and full of pretty things to look at, that's for sure. But if you want something special and different, something you can't find anywhere else, you should probably come inside and talk to the owner in person.




1 comment:
Yo, so what's this blog about? hahhhh
Post a Comment