findingthegrind, leablum, seeyamelissa, heyreverb
Happy Hump Day! In the spirit of FF (Funemployment February), I thought I'd share a few of the things that are making me deliriously happy right now. In the face of such gloomy weather and depressing times, I find that it's important to maintain perspective and focus on the positive. But I'm a pretty optimistic person to begin with, so it wasn't too difficult a thing to do really.
1. RBC Coffee - Okay, I'm a little reluctant to share this with the public as I don't want it getting too popular and overcrowded, but this has been my go-to coffee spot for quite some time. RBC is this tiny coffee shop that opened up a year ago just a few blocks away from my apartment. They've got this newfangled espresso machine that apparently costs $18,000 and is the only one in the entire city. Or east of Michigan, actually. So yeah, they're pretty darn serious about their coffee. I've been camping out there lately with my laptop and new reading material, guzzling insane amounts of heavenly lattes and enjoying their two tvs (one set to the news, the other set to a live feed of an animal rehabilitation center next door where you can watch dogs swimming! I mean c'mon!). It also doesn't hurt that everyone who works there is disturbingly cute. And they've been giving me free refills too. So yeah, I'm kind of in love with the damn place.
2. Yoga Vida - Another joint that I want to keep to myself. My friend Lauren turned me on to this place recently, and it's such a nice change of pace from the usual yoga studios I frequent. As much as I love and worship Yoga To The People, I admit to being frustrated from time to time by the ridiculous amount of people that are always there. Not to mention how it feels like I spent an hour in the boiler room after I leave. Enter Yoga Vida, just a few blocks west. The studio itself is gorgeous and airy, and reminds me of when I practiced yoga outdoors in Hawaii. And they've got all these fancy props and blankets that you can readily borrow too. I'll probably keep going to YTTP but Yoga Vida is a rad alternative when I'm searching for a little more peace and quiet. Or just a place that's less sweaty in general.
3. Birchbox - Now this is a really good story! When I was still working, we heard rumors of a cosmetics company that would soon be moving onto our floor. After watching the renovations slowly be completed, Birchbox and its lovely ladies moved in. I bumped into one of them in the hallway one afternoon, and they explained the concept of their company to me. For just $10 a month, the girls ship you a pretty pink box full of deluxe makeup, face and hair product samples from the industry's biggest brands. The general idea is that they take the guesswork out of product selection and provide you with hand-picked samples that you can try at your leisure and in the privacy of your own home. For a makeup junkie like me (that's sheepishly gone to great lengths for free samples from beauty stores like Sephora...and I'm talking great lengths), I was, like, immediately sold. On top of the amazing products, the company is just full of uber-smart and savvy people (read: Harvard grads. No, seriously.). Oh, and they gave me a free Birchbox to try as well. Yeah, they're ridiculously awesome. Go sign up. Now. Maybe it's just me, but I can't say no to a little self-pampering every now and then.




No comments:
Post a Comment